Unknown
I tried the Crockpot Queso meal last week and an altered version of the Black Bean and Guacamole Salad with ingredients that I had on hand. The salad was closer to nachos but very good. I'll have to try the actual recipe though!

The Crockpot Queso was good but if I make it again I will definitely not be using the velveeta cheese with it. The consistency of the meal had me somewhat scared until it was heated to the proper temperature, then it was fine. It tasted quite good, I enjoyed it even though it was obviously very fatty. But when the left overs cooled down it was the consistency of a precooked block of velveeta cheese, not very appetizing for making left overs.

I really wanted to try the Vegetarian Crockpot Enchiladas but the day that I was ready to go to the store and brave shopping for ingredients that I'm unfamiliar with the link wasn't working. But it was good in that I started with shopping for the ingredients for the Crockpot Queso, it was an easy list even for the unfamiliar ingredients. If nothing else it helped me gain some confidence shopping for things that I didn't even know where they were.

I have tried the link again for the Veg Crockpot Enchiladas but the whole site seems to be down, not just under maintenance as the message had declared last week. I really wanted to try that recipe and I'm not one to give up easily when I really want something so I googled the name of the recipe and found another site with a recipe of the same name: Vegetarian Crockpot Enchiladas though this time I am not going to rely on the link staying up. Here is the actual recipe:

1-3/4 lbs. canned crushed tomatoes in tomato purée
14 ounces chunky style prepared salsa
6 ounces tomato paste
2 lbs. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1 lb. corn kernels, thawed if frozen
1/4 lb. canned diced mild green chilies, drained
1-1/2 Tbs. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
5 corn tortillas
2 ounces olive slices, drained

Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Pour about 1 cup of mixture into the bottom of an electric slow cooker on low heat. Spread evenly and top with 1-1/2 tortillas, cutting to fit pot. Spread 1/3 of remaining tomato mixture over top. Repeat layering process, ending with tomato mixture. Spread top evenly. Sprinkle with olives. Cover and cook about 5 hours. Serve hot. This recipe serves 5 people.

Also here is the recipe for the Crockpot Queso, though like I mentioned above I do not recommend the velveeta cheese. If you try this with another cheese and like the outcome, please share it with me! :)

1 (2 lb) block Velveeta Cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
1 can chili without beans (I used organic bean chili and it worked fine!)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in Crockpot and heat for several hours on high or on low for about five. Serve with warm corn chips and fresh salsa. Or you can turn them into enchiladas or burritos with a tortilla!

While I am posting recipes, here is another one from the same friend who gave me the salad recipe that I want to try:

Black Bean Enchiladas

2t canola oil (i use veg or olive)

1 med onion peeled and chipped

2 large cloves garlic, minced

Two 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 med tomato or 2 plum tomatoes, diced

4 oz can chopped mild, medium, or hot green chilies, undrained

1T chili powder, or to taste

1t ground cumin

2T tamari or soy sauce

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

12 corn tortillas (we use flour tortillas all the time)

1 cup bottled or canned enchilada sauce

4 ounces lowfat shard cheddar

2 pint pitted sliced black olives

Scallions (i never use them or the olives)

Preheat oven to 375. Light spray a 9x13in baking dish, set aside

Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over med heat. add onion and galic, cook, stirring until translucent and soft about 5 min.

Add beans, tomato, canned chilies with juices, chili powder, cumin, tamari/soy sauce. Bring to a boil stirring frequently.

Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Uncover and continue to simmer for 5 min or until liquid reduces and mixture is firm and holds its shape. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

If using corn tortillas, Fill med bowl with warm water and dip tortillas to soften.

Place tortilla in baking dish, spoon 2 heaping tablespoons of filling down the center, and roll.

Push filled tortilla to far end of dish.

Continue dipper corn tortillas in water, draining, filling, and rolling, placing the filled enchiladas in single layer.

Spoon sauce over rolls and scatter with cheddar cheese. Cover dish with foil and bake 20 minutes or until bubbly hot. Serve with garnishes and yogurt or sour scream, black olives and scallions.


I am very excited about a new purchase that we made which will really help with this veggie journey! As a combination birthday / mother's day gift for me we got a brand new BlendTec blender!! I've been wanting one for a long time, ever since I watched them give a demo at our local Costco. You may have heard of this blender from the "Will it Blend?" videos on YouTube. They're funny!

You can do so much with this wonderful blender! Soups, salsas, batters, sauces, ice cream, dips, dressings, smoothies, whole juices, and so much more. The blender even heats up the soups, you just put in the ingredients and push the soup button and then you've got soup! I cannot wait to make my all time favorite soup in the blender: broccoli cheddar! The blender comes with a huge cookbook and as you can imagine most everything is vegetarian. Though I am a bit perplexed as to why the broccoli cheddar soup calls for chicken bouillon so I'm going to have to try some other ingredients until I can find something that properly replaces that ingredient.
0 Responses

Post a Comment